Thursday, January 26, 2006

Frens..

Yesterday, my hubby asked me a question :

“Who is your best friend?”

Of course, he didn’t ask this out of the blue. Just a couple of days ago, he went out with his two best friends for dinner and drinks. He was telling me how the gathering went and how he was picked up by a gal. I was listen intently especially on that stranger gal when he shoot me that question. I wasn't prepared for that question, got a shock and just replied :

“You lor” …

And he replied, “Husband and best friend are different” … I kept silence and hurrily go to kitchen to do my laundry stuff..

That night, as I was lying on the bed staring at my hubby, I am kinda envious of him. He had known his two best friends (a guy and gal) since secondary school and they are very close up till now. I know that due to their busy schedule, they weren’t able to meet up often but their thoughts are always with each other and they genuinely care for each other.

I then began to think of who are my best friends. I started to list them out mentally.
After 5 mins and having erased my hubby from the ‘Best Friend’ list, my list show a big fat ZERO.

I felt a teeny weeny bit of sadness and could literally feel my heart sank. I could feel the pain in my heart.

Does one have or can have best friend for life? Is the existence of a human living in this world considered worthy and valuable if he/she have a best friend for life?

In times of trouble or when I need to pour my woes and sadness, who can I seek other than my hubby? Who truly appreciate me for whom I am and our love for each other is purely platonic. Who truly believes in me, for whatever the nonsense I deliver. Is there anyone that I felt our relationship was built based on laughter, happiness, sadness etc and we will last a long time?

Again, my answer is : No one now. Not anymore.


I used to have 2 best friends on different times of my life.

During my childhood, I had a best friend for 7 years. We knew each other in Primary One. Things went wrong gradually as we grow up and began to developed a more complicated thinking. Even though we really have a clash of personality, we still stuck out for each other.

When I was 12, a guy jumped into both of our life and he showed me how fragile my relationship with her was. We entered into a love-triangle relationship (Oh, so drama-mama!). She asked me to come to her place, we had a huge fight where she just didn’t believe that I didn’t have any interest in that guy. It ended unpleasantly at her place as I just stormed out of her house. Couple of days later, she called me on the pretext of wanting to apologies to me in person so the forgiving me arrived at her place. I was deceived. I was corned and beaten up by her and a bunch of gals she knew from outside. I put up a fight but couldn’t win as it was many to one. I was physically thrown out of her house and she told me to never contacted her anymore.

And I did.


Fast forwarding to the future, I knew a gal later through MIRC.. We were really comfortable with each other and grew close extremely fast. At that point in time, I thought I could have a friend who really understands and appreciate me and treated me as soulmate. We lasted only 4 years sadly when we had a major clash in marriage views and we stopped contacting each other.

At this point, I felt some drops of tears. Am I not worthy of someone’s attention and platonic love? I felt depressed.. maybe deep down, I'm pessimistic.

Refusing to feel depress further, I thought of my friends from Studygroup. They are really a bunch of extremely good friends. We really got close to each other even though the majority of us knew each other for less than a year. /hug Studygroup. I invested a lot of my feelings, time and emotion into them. I truly wanted us to be lifelong pals..really I wish for this..

But I know I won’t choose one or two out from this group and have them as my best friends. This will split the group. I want all of us to be close together.

I have a lot a lot of extremely good friends, good friends etc. Just that there’s a blank in the Best Friend section of my heart.

Maybe as my life moves on, I will have someone who I can introduce and say, “This is my best friend. Pls say hi!”

To all those who have best friend, I envy you all. From the bottom of my heart, I truly madly deeply really wish you and your best friend will be with each other other very close and be best friend for life.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many people don't have best friends. And many people count their spouse as their best friend and they feel fortunate for that. So don't feel so bad about it. Would you rather have a best girl friend but not enjoy a close relationship with your hubby?

Anyway, I have the same wish for Studygroup. We have one another. Who cares whether we have best friends or not? ;)

Thu Jan 26, 04:30:00 pm  
Blogger elyxia said...

Wang wang - Yeah, agree with QY. Many ppl don't have best friends, and some people marry their best friends so who's to say a spouse cannot be a best friend? /bish "Da Husband"

I had 1-2 best friends before but also fell out with them over a guy. Men are evil.

I really agree with what you said about Studygroup! I'm happy that I have you guys :)

Thu Jan 26, 05:45:00 pm  
Blogger Minou said...

Me, I have 3 best friends now. I knew them way back in Primary and Secondary school. We come out as a group, talk, help etc.
But that doesn't mean that there aren't any times where we would like to strangle each other.
There are months we dun see each other, a certain time in Uni we lost touch, but when we come together, it's always best friends.

Studygroup has not reached that stage yet but then, we have not even known each other for 1 year! Mebbe this time next year, you can look at us and call us all your best friends. :)

Thu Jan 26, 07:48:00 pm  
Blogger The Goonfather said...

I have many many best friends.... They are all in Geylang Lorong 8 - Lorong 12. They are always there for me when I need them, and they do not bother me like normal friends. I only seek them when I need them and I am not obligated to be there for them in times of their need. Isn't it perfect? They do things that normal friends dun do or you can do things to them which you won't do it to a friend. Hahaha..........

Best friend and spouse are 2 different matters. It is always good to have a best friend and not just depend on your spouse. In certain cases when issues that involve your other half, and you just can't approach your other half about it, you need someone else to lend u a listening ear and hopefully neutral and analytical enough to help you out...

Unfortunately, the world is filled with bozos who will not be able to look at things on a neutral stance and their brains are not for thinking, but just an ornament.

Fri Jan 27, 12:27:00 pm  
Blogger Wang Wang said...

QY & Ely : It's my naive thinking that everyone need a best friend. Everyone will love to have a best friend but it all depends on fate and karma.

I am glad I have you both as my buddy and the rest of the studygroup peeps as my buddies too!
luv u all. hug /kiss

Min : Aye, best friends no need keep in contact constantly, their heart will always be with each other. Treasure your best friend and studygroup peeps also. I know I treasure everyone. I do hope we can reach that stage. Hehe!

SM : As usual la, u will start ur opening cheekily.. but I do have to agree with that behind that cheeky face, the maturity you have shown in the last few comments caught me by surprise. I'm glad to see this side of you. /hug

Fri Jan 27, 02:57:00 pm  
Blogger elyxia said...

Hmmm. SM best friend in Lorong 8.
Unker Kel stays Lorong 8.

And "They do things that normal friends dun do or you can do things to them which you won't do it to a friend"

Eeeeeeek .....

Wed Feb 01, 10:06:00 pm  
Blogger Morte said...

Err.. me is her best friend also lah, but I was asking her who is/are her best friend(s) because these will be the people you turn to when you are ever in dire need of help, and you can always be sure they will do their utmost to help you.

To me, its very simple. Best friends do not necessarily share your happiest moments with you; but when you are in the worst moments of your life, they will be by your side, physically or spiritually. Thats the commitment I have with my 2 best friends :)

Best friends, I would prefer to have them than not!

Wed Feb 08, 09:21:00 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home